Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Something's fishy.

"Step out in style" - is my dad's mantra. To an extent I think his daughters have got a pretty good hang of it. :D
But sometimes the circumstances are not in your hands.
You have oil in your hair, the water hasn't heated up yet and exactly then your dog runs out of the house. And the roles reverse. YOU have to chase it.
Or something close to it.
So I like smelling good. Another trait inherited from Dad. And I totally hate it when I/my_clothes smell. No not the human sweaty smelly thingy. HERE, in the US of A, the ventilation sucks.
When I first got here, I remember feeling claustrophobic. No windows! AC on all the time, so everything has to be shut. But you get used to it. But the problem arises, for me atleast, when we cook.
The typical Indian food, with all the spices. You don't open the door and your house/clothes left outside- everything would smell of the spices. Don't get me wrong. I love Indian food. I love the aroma. I love the spices.. But not if it looks like my clothes have been washed in it.
I am extremely particular about keeping the door open and pissing off all my room-mates whenever I cooked.
So in this new apartment, I did the same. Opened the door. Cooking, oblivious to the surroundings.
Everytime we cooked, we would hear a door suddenly slamming shut. Then finally one day we were asked to close our door when we cook. This time, the neighbors had a problem.
But, I cheated. I kept the door slightly open. Didn't realize how frustrated my neighbours really were. Somebody actually came and closed the door shut from outside. :))
Yummy Avocado rolls at Kyoto's. You should totally try them!

I know it is annoying I guess. When people cook seafood, the whole floor stinks! You can smell it as soon as you step out of the elevators.
But then again, what is the other option? I dont want the house to smell. (Read: my clothes) An open window doesn't help that much.
Reiterating, why is the ventilation so bad! Stooopid ACs.

No comments: