Friday, January 7, 2011

Best friends? Maybe not.


So, I just got off the phone with my best friend. I've known him since about 12 years now. Right from school to now we've kept in touch. We were pretty close. Quite the opposite in disposition. I would get home from school everyday and tell him all about what happened in school. And he would just sit there listening. Never talking. Considering I am usually quiet one, you can imagine how quiet he must be. Hmm...So maybe we are not quite different after all.

So yeah we grew up. Made friends. Had crushes. I would tell him all about them. Tell him how it breaks my heart to see them in love with someone else. I remember even crying over the phone once for some other guy and he would just console me. He told me about his girl and how she lied to him.

All this while never did we have feelings for each other. I mean I cannot think of him as "my guy".

Today he calls me and says I've been thinking from sometime now, and I think I see you more than just a best friend. I was like :O!
Then he goes on to tell me about sometime where he had introduced me to one of his friends and I spoke to him more than I did with him. He was uncomfortable then, but brushed off his feelings thinking they were just best-friendish feelings. When he thought back about it recently, he thinks he was Jealous.

We recently went on a trip together. Friends and family included. I thought I saw a look in his eyes- an irritated sort of expression when I wasn't spending as much time with him. I sorta brushed it aside.
Didn't realize what was about to come.

Now it's all so weird- I mean I don't feel anything for him. Like nothing! But then thinking about how our families our close and him knowing everything about me..it probably would seem wise to say yes to him.
But then again I don't love him...I feel bad that I will be breaking his heart, coz I know exactly what it feels like when someone breaks your heart.
Strange is love.

I told him maybe he thinks this is love because he has opened up to me. Maybe he just needs to talk to other people more. (Didn't know what else to tell him)
Then he says take your time and think about it.....But I am pretty sure about what I feel for him...
How do I tell him that without breaking his heart?
Feeling weird/bad that I lost my bestie. Things will never be the same again now.
Why oh why do relationships have to be so complicated?!
Why oh why can't a girl and a guy be best friends!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!
3 aspects,
i) You develop a crush, both have feelings for each other, start spending quality time, realise how much you love each other, one of you propose after sometime. A sweet story every guy/girl would crave to be a part of.

ii)You grow up being responsible, typically elder son/daughter, though you like someone from school/college cannot muster the courage to express your feelings fearing/assuming the risk involved. Likely to end up with an arranged marriage, where you plan to discover love later, willingly or not.

iii) You know a person for a long time. Either of you are not in a serious relationship for quite some time. One of them does soul searching(usually the person will be lonely of late) & finally accepts it's much more than friendship. It'll never be the same again how much ever you try. You simply cannot be "just friends" any more. Very few express it, fearing loosing the existing relationship they have. In your case, lemme tell you that you are damn lucky, the guy has come out in open.

According to me, the first case is fairy tale, second being reality & a compromise, third the best that could happen to anybody. You may not have feelings for him now, you would eventually develop after a while. You'll be lost in his love, take my word.

Filmy but I agree with this - "It is better to marry a person who loves you than a person whom you love"
Please for godsake, don't tell me that you spoke to him & we both have agreed to remain just friends. That's not true, I know it because I'm a guy.

So CONGRATULATIONS & say YES to him !!! Happy for you.

I did not mean to advise you, take them as a few words from a good friend.

Ashwini said...

@Mous: Do you know me???? I have a very strong feeling that you do.

Anyways, I haven't spoken to him since then. I mean, not avoiding him, just don't feel like talking.

About that Filmi dialogue that you maaroed, I think either both the parties involved should be in love, or none(i.e., arranged), because after sometime love fades away. When the person you love, doesn't love you back, at some point it turns into frustration/disappointment and his love would turn into something else.
So saying YES is out of the question.
And anyway, I am not ready for anything remotely love-like for anybody.