Sunday, January 30, 2011

Surprise. Surprise!

Totally unexpected day:

During the break that we get at the place where I work at, I was talking to my co-worker. Young kid. (19 I think) I was asking him about sororities and fraternities and stuff. Then we had run out of things to talk about, so I asked him how his love life was advancing. (He had mentioned earlier that he was trying, but he didn't know where it was going) So just to make conversation I asked him if she came and ate at the food court we worked at. He was like, "they don't come here" . Hint HINT! I was supposed to understand, but I didn't get it. Then I was like, "What, you like two girls is it?" Then he goes No... And then Indian mentality no, I thought maybe he didn't want people sitting behind us to overhear that we were talking about somebody he loved and that's why he used plurals instead of a "she". But, turned out to be totally unexpected. 
He: I'm gay.
Me: Oh. I am so sorry for not understanding.
He: That's ok, I hadn't mentioned it so a lot of people would assume it would be a she.
Me: (Curiosity full peak levels. It was the first time ever that I spoke to somebody who was differently oriented.)
      Is it ok if I ask you questions. I am just curious..
He: Yeah it's fine.
Me: So how did you first know that you weren't interested in girls?
He: Back in the fifth-sixth grade when all the guys used to like girls, I never felt anything for them. I liked the guys.
Me(Hmm. So it starts off from when they're kids... Interesting) So you're not even Bi?
He: No. As much as my older brothers wished that to be true, it is not. I've never been out with a girl.
Me: Oh, so your family knows?
He: Yeah they do.
Me: Oh. That's nice. You know, I never thought you'd not like girls. I mean it didn't seem like that at all..
He: Yeah, it is very difficult even for me to know if people are gay or not. A lot of people who you'd expect to be gay are actually not, and a lot of them who you think wouldn't be, actually are gay.
Me: So how are you going about looking for people?
He: There is an organization on -campus, but I haven't joined it, I don't like it.
Me: Oh, that long-haired guy is a part of it right? (There's this guy who is openly gay- Wears t-shirts which say, "Gay? Fine by me" in different colors everyday)
He: Yeah, he is. But they're all activists, which I am not. So it becomes all the more difficult for me to try and figure out who's gay and approach them.
Me. Yeah.

Our break was over and we had to get back to work.. 

It was kinda awkward, but it wasn't that hard to accept. In fact I kinda felt bad for him. First he had to figure out who is gay. Then he has to find someone who'd complement his personality! Finding the right one has such a minimal chance in this case. 

My friends and I had had this conversation long back. When we were kids, almost. 
"What if it your kid turns out to be homosexual? Would you disown him/her? "
One of the guys was like, No. I'd accept him. And that guy immediately went off my potential to-be-husbands list. I was shocked with his liberal thinking. But now I think differently. I don't know what I'd do, but I know for sure that I don't have such a rigid point of view anymore.. 
Time changes you...nay? 

Btw, what would you do if your kid turns out to be homosexual?


No comments: