Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Elevators!

Living in a building with 30 floors has its perks. You should see the view from our window: It is beautiful. Of course there is a flip side to everything. In this case, it's the never ending elevator rides. Yappa! I dread those rides: especially when there are just two strangers in it and one of them doesn't really want to be a stranger.

So this one time, this African guy and I get into the lift to get to the lobby. 23 floors. Plenty of time.
He (grunts): Where are you from?
Me: India.
(19 floors to go)
He (the grunt again): Do you have a boyfriend?
Me: :-? :-O (Thinking: Where did that come from? Really? Is that the first thing you ask? Wow. Desperate. Damn. 15 more floors to go!) Yeah. (Only an idiot would have said No)
He:(still grunting) How long have you been together?
Me: Two years. (Two sounds stable. Kinda safe.)
(11 floors)
He (you know how he talks by now): Do you live alone in the apartment? (He's seen where I stay)
Me: No. I live with another girl.
6 floors..
He: You're beautiful.
Me: .... Tried to smile.
Awkward silence..
And finally,
after what felt like ages,
THE LOBBY!! Freeeedom!
(Thankfully I haven't seen him again, yet. But he knows where I stay :-/)

Another day another scene.
Coming up from the lobby. Already five people inside. Didn't want to wait for another lift. So I squeeze in. Keep staring at the closed lift door.
Then out of nowhere this guy with a golden tooth waves his hands in front of me trying to catch my attention.
He: "Hi"
Me: :)
He: Are you single?
Me: (Wha?) No.
His friend (to him): Maybe she is, but just not for you.
Loud guffaws follow.
That's when I realize they're drunk. At 4 in the evening. Awesome.
Floor 14.
He: You are not married yet, right?
Me: No. (I'm thinking, "What the.....Asshole. How dare he" I want to say it. But I don't. It's never a good idea to abuse drunk people) Still staring intently at the lift door.
All but one get off 2 floors before I do.
And the other guy in the lift goes:
That must have been embarrassing!
Me: Yeeeeahhh!
He:  There's a difference between being forward and over-forward.
I'm like "I know right! Assholes were all drunk!"
He: I don't know. But sure felt awkward in here.
He gets off.
And I finally am Home! Sweet home.

Scene three:
He: Hi where are you from?
Me: India.
He: Isn't that in West Africa?
Me: .............

You know what my worst nightmare is? Getting stuck in the elevator! And the damn phones don't work either!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elevator woes!! too many. On a lighter note, check this out,
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPobACr9oL4"