Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Corporate - Not the movie.

Have you ever had to talk to someone over the phone and not understood what he was saying? I'm pretty sure everybody faces such times some time or the other, especially in today's scenario, where a team meeting cannot happen without people listening in from the other time-zone.
My team-lead uses remote access to work from another State. So I only get to talk to him on the phone all the time. The first day of work, I wanted to look smart and tried really hard to understand what he was saying without having him repeating everything twice. Worked for sometime, but eventually he had to repeat stuff. To make things worse, turns out he is the one guy in office who talks the fastest of all. Psssh.
Thankfully, he drove down to the office today and I got to speak to him face-to-face. It's better this way for sure. More about him: He has to be on the move all the time. Doesn't stick to one place for long. One time he was talking about "his puppies" and used the singular  "him/he". Turns out he was talking about the bits of code that he wrote!  He's a funny guy. Except that I don't get his jokes. I would have, if only he was a little slower. But not to take anything away from him, he repeats stuff whenever I ask..I am learning something everyday and the good thing is I am being noticed.

Apart from that, I kinda hate these team lunches: Even though everyone's sitting on the same table, they're all broken up into these small groups where they talk invariably about the code that was troubling them or the bug that they fixed. The ONE time everyone's out, and they still have to talk about the same stuff. Not that there aren't people who consciously avoid talking about work, but the majority of the crowd falls in the other category.

The best part is, when you get your first salary! It makes you spend on all kind of things at the mall, which you eventually will get bored of (I am already bored) but still, shopping is shopping! I know, sometimes, I contradict myself..But then again who doesn't? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First salary is like first crush ! Never really got to know it better :)