Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's day

People don't forget the first day of work ever. 14th Feb. My first day at work today. My love for the next six months.
Got up a whole TWO hours before the time I was supposed to report to office. A huge improvement vs. the 10 mins I had in college to brush and get to class. :D
EVEN then! I don't know how two hours went by and dekhte hi dekhte I had 10 mins to get to office. :)) Some things never change. Thankfully 10 mins were enough to get to office since it is a 5 mins walk (even on high heels).
The good thing with my life, touchwood, is no matter how bad things are, in the end it all falls to place. 
So I reach office in time and wait for the HR person. There were 5 other interns reporting today. And I was the best looking even here. Damn this world has to catch up with me :))
The HR person comes and checks our paper work. That took about an hour. Then we were taken to a training room. Some 3 presentations they had. For 2.5 hours! :O Bleddy. And so we shouldn't get bored, the company had got creative and instead of reading out the company's standard code of ethics, had made a movie- Yes, a MOVIE out of the whole thing. So we had like a rip-off of about 10 movies, which included car chases and guns and secret agents! But no matter how much creativity you put in, guidelines would be guidelines, you can't really change that.. 
After the training we were shown around to our desks, check out the picture yo! It feels so awesome to have a desk of your own. This is MY space- sorts. Then went to the Office's stores and got stuff to put on my desk. Will put up more pictures later when it is all decorated.


It was lunch time, so got home and ate Maggi and went back. My assigned mentor was out for sometime. So I went to this other guy and he gave me stuff to read, for the next two hours. Oh btw, my mentor totally looks like the teacher from King Fu Panda, Shifu. Damn cute he is. Old grandfather, sorts. Fred Uncle I call him (not in person, yet ;) )

Coming back to where we had left, I was reading up stuff for sometime.  
Then at some 4 pm we had a meeting. They gave us a general overview of what the development team does. And what part I will be working on. 
5.15: End of the meeting. End of the day. 
Got home damn hungry and pissed. Happens when you are hungry right? Happens to me atleast. And when there is nothing to eat at home and you have to cook everything from scratch before you can eat! My room-mate and I felt we were fighting like a couple. Unhappy with what the other was cooking. Unhappy with what the other was talking! But in the end again, it all falls into place. Stomach full. Happy now. So that was my first day. Feel free to tell me what you thought about it, and/or share what you felt on your first day at work. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally understand what you mean by 'getting pissed' when you are hungry....i feel the same :)talking to people at that time is sooooooo annoying!!

keep writing....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations,
The industry is a huge treasure to unearth, welcome to professional life. It's a huge shift, handle responsibly.

Ashwini said...

@Anonymous1: Hi-5 soul-sister! ;)
@Anony2: Thanks and trying to handle responsibly.. :)